Friday, April 23, 2010

Oops! Trick Has Fiancee

Dr. Bill, I'm in a bit of a mess. I'm a 28-year-old gay guy. I recently tricked with a guy around my age that I met in a gay bar. We had a very nice time, and the next morning he went out to get some donuts and coffee while I showered and got dressed. I heard a key in the lock and assumed it's him. Instead it's a young woman. She turns out to be the guy's fiancee. I hemmed and hawed as to who I was and how I knew "Barry." "Barry"came back with the donuts and immediately I saw the look on his face and could tell the fiancee had no clue he was into guys. I got out of there without having coffee, and left him to explain. Later he e-mailed me to say he really liked me and wanted to see me again, that he had thought he was bisexual but realized he was gay and was struggling to find a way to tell his fiancee and break things off with her. I don't know what to think. I would like to see him again, but not if the fiancee stays in the picture and not if he's all conflicted -- what a bore! What do you suggest I do? Anon.

You're right about one thing. Guys like this can be a big bore.

Tell the guy you're not interested in hearing from him until he's free of commitments -- and being engaged to someone is certainly a commitment!

Even then you'll have to get to know him a lot better before you can decide if he's the type of guy who is self-accepting enough to enter into a relationship with another man (besides sex, of course) -- or if he's one of these guys who needs to present a "straight" facade to the world --hence the fiancee.

I realize that at this point it's too soon for you to know if this man is someone you would seriously consider as a lover candidate, but the fact that you see this whole business as a "big mess" tells me that you already have certain feelings for him.

You don't need to get involved in this situation, especially if he's not going to be honest with the woman in his life. Why waste time trying to help him come out when ultimately he wants to stay in the closet and stick to guys on the "down low."

Tell him: get in touch when you're available and not before. You don't date guys who have girlfriends.

No comments: